Monday, January 5, 2015

I'm new to this blog and haven't figured out all the editing stuff so bear with me. You can also tell I am not good at doing daily or even weekly updates so some of the stuff is out of sequence with regard to when it actually was built in the construction timeline. The boat is near completion with regard to the actual construction and needs to be moved to it's road trailer and have the bottom coated with Epoxy and Graphite. So I used the tree out front, a come-a-long and some wood to block up the transom. I lowered the tongue of the building-cart/trailer to make the transom as high as possible. Then using the wood I blocked up the transom and used the come-a-long attached to the bow eye to hoist the bow off the trailer. My bow eye is 6 inches long and goes through 5 inches of solid wood to be able to take the entire weight of the boat.

Love Bugs are an natural part of boat building in Florida at certain times of the year. They can be ignored but sometimes become an integral part of the boat when you do. Epoxy has virtually no smell to me but it is a super attractive smell to Love Bugs and they flock to the area where fresh epoxy has been applied.  I tend to ignore them in the preliminary coats of epoxy (they sand smooth) but wait till their short season is over before doing a final epoxy coat or paint


I decided to "not" include a closed storage area under the seats. I wasn't sure if that space might be usable as part of the sleeping arrangements or not and figured I'd leave it open from the front. I can store the Porta-Polti under one and slide a milk crate storage box under the other if needed. I built a Bolger Microtrawler a few years ago and got spoiled with the standing headroom in the Pilot House and the open doors right beside the seats. I like the open jeep feeling of having the seats and doors like this.


2 comments:

  1. Great read Pat. Interesting project as a whole. Pictures from the entire blog show the transition from "scrap lumber" to great little boat. Wish I could have seen it from the early stages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the 2014 posts for earlier pics. Look on the right side of the page and click on the earlier posts.

    ReplyDelete